Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Carne Guisada


So...This was wonderful. I have a favorite local Mexican restaurant that serves chunked beef that tastes just like this in their chimichangas. I haven't been able to have my favorite meal because of the the carb and calorie count, because I cant just eat the meat. They serve rice and beans with the meal which i gotta have if i go...I dont have to have it but I will...LOL I was starting to be so sad i was missing my yummy spicy food . LOL But I found this...Wonderful Recipe. Now I can have the taste of my Mexican restaurant but in a healthier capacity. My husband just throws all this in a crock pot and adds a little extra water to cover the meat. It turned out so tender and juicy.I do not put anything on top of it but a little reduced fat Mexican cheese. If you want to use low carb tortillas to make a wrap or make into a taco salad...there are many options to change this up.  I have paired this up with garlic green beans, broccoli, mashed cauliflower and just a simple salad. I hope everyone loves this as much as I did. The original recipe follows below try either the crockpot or the way they did it below I am sure that this recipe will not disappoint. Enjoy!
Click to see a close-up

DOTTIE'S CARNE GUISADA 

2 pound chuck roast, trimmed and cubed
2 tablespoons oil
1 small onion, diced, 2 1/2 ounces
4 ounces canned chopped green chiles
14 ounces beef broth
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. I used my 8-quart Dutch oven which was much larger than necessary to hold all of the ingredients. Using a larger pot gave me more surface area so I was able to brown the meat in a single layer. Brown the beef on all sides. Add all of the remaining ingredients; bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 2 hours or until the beef is very tender. Remove the lid and raise the heat.* Simmer until the liquid has thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve in low carb tortillas or over chopped lettuce, if desired. Top with whatever you like from cheese and sour cream to guacamole, etc. The counts below do not include the tortillas, lettuce or toppings.
Makes 4-6 servings
Can be frozen
* I skipped this last step and drained the meat in a large colander, saving the liquid. I put the meat back in the pot and shredded it with two forks. Then, I sprinkled 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum over the meat and stirred it in well. I poured in 1/2 to 1 cup of the reserved liquid and simmered it just until the sauce thickened. If you want to serve this like chili in a bowl, do not drain the liquid like I did. If you want to serve it in tortillas, it would be too soupy without draining off most of it. I used just enough to make the meat moist but not soupy. There is enough sauce that it could easily accomodate a 3 or 4 pound roast to stretch the servings and the carbs. By draining off most of the liquid, you'll save a few carbs as well but it was too hard to calculate the carb savings so I didn't.

4 comments:

  1. Girl, you and I think alike. I just ran it through nutrition support not too long ago because I thought it looked delicious! According to your pic, it does look delicious! I am glad you are back to blogging! :) Good luck with your weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sandy....I have just playing the recipes my ear....I have not been so strict since the health problems started. I still want to blog...I need to be an outlet for me...I know that now. Keep the recipes coming on your end. I check your site about every day LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, is it okay to use your pic and your site with the approved recipe from nutrition support on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah...no problem. I wanna share what I have found with everyone...Please use what you need and convert for the medifast users :) I am glad you enjoy them enough to share them on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete