Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sandy's Shrimp Scampi and Zucchini Ribbons

I have been looking forward to having this recipe for weeks now, but each and every time I put it on my menu there are no zucchini to be found at my grocery store. It was 3 weeks of a zucchini shortage around here. Finally, I put it on the menu yet again and yippee the store had zucchinis!!!! This was wonderful, but I knew I was gonna love it, because it combined my two favorite things Shrimp and Zuccchini Ribbons. Sandy's blog doesn't disappoint yet again. Here website http://www.lighterrecipes.com of tons of wonderful recipes. If you haven't yet please go check it out!! I hope every enjoys this recipe as much I me and the hubby did!! The greatest part one pan to clean up! Enjoy!!!



Sandy's
Shrimp Scampi and Zucchini Ribbons

Ingredients:
8 oz shrimp, cooked, deveined, tails off - should cook down to 7 oz (1 Lean)
2-3 medium zucchinis or 270 grams (3 Greens)
1 tbsp light butter (1 Healthy Fat)
2 wedges light garlic and herb laughing cow cheese (1 Healthy Fat)
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth (1/4 Condiment)
1 clove garlic, minced (1 Condiment)
1 tsp lemon (1/2 Condiment)
1/8 tsp salt  - optional (1/2 Condiment)
Dash or 1/16 tsp of pepper (1/8 Condiment)
1/2 tsp Parsley Flakes  (1/6 Condiment)

Directions:
Peel the zucchini with a potato peeler until you reach the core with the seeds. The seeds will make it mushy so try not to include them. (save the core for your salads or another use). I find that the best way is to weigh the zucchinis to get the best measurement. I peeled the zucchinis and weighed them until it reached 270 grams which is 3 servings of cooked zucchini. I find that when I use 3 servings of the cooked weight from the Vegetable Weight Conversion Chart, it comes pretty close to 1 1/2 cups after it is cooked. If you just measure 1 1/2 cups of  raw veggies, the veggies will shrink when cooked and you actually are cheating yourself.  Set aside.

Heat the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic, parsley, lemon juice, chicken broth, laughing cow cheese, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Add zucchini ribbons and cook stirring frequently just until the zucchini is about to get soft about 2-3 minutes. Toss in shrimp and heat until warm. Serve. This sounds kind of strange but what I do is take the shrimp out and weigh them to see how much they shrunk and to make sure I am getting 7 oz. Mine shrunk to about 5.25 oz (3/4 Lean) so I added 1 oz of Sargento 2% Italian Cheese Blend (4.5 grams of fat) on top of my dish. I didn't have 8 oz of shrimp but only 6 oz so that is why I had less too. The cheese really completed my meal! Top with cheese if necessary. Enjoy!

1 Lean and Green Meal with 2.54 Condiments and 2 Healthy Fats

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! The shrimps looks perfect! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shrimp and zucchini too! Your photos look awesome by the way. Mine doesn't look nearly as delicious as yours! Keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how many shrimp is 7 oz?

    ReplyDelete